11 April 2011

The Hunger Games 2


Marissa and I both finished The Hunger Games today. We had a really great discussion about it . There were a lot of themes that made for great discussions everything from reality TV to how to be kind in adverse conditions. I think the take home lessons for both of us were great and for her were even better. We talked about what things might be good to learn for survival conditions (she thinks she needs to get a bow hunting license now and spent an hour out practicing with her bow, I will have to get her a few more arrows I guess, but we will have fun this summer when I get mine out and shoot with her). The author took some flack for the violence in the story but if an involved adult is there to talk about it I think it is something that needs to be addressed sometime anyway.

One problem I found in our discussion-- Marissa doesn't have much idea of what reality TV is. She doesn't know about Survivor or American Idol. She does know about Fetch with Ruff Ruffman on PBS (was canceled this season) so it wasn't completely with out hope but---- I guess we have socially deprived our child she, doesn't "get" reality TV very well. Reading this book was a good school thing to do with my daughter though.

We ordered the sequel Catching Fire this afternoon (we got them as e-books for Nook and they are lend able if someone wants to borrow them for Nook just let me know). I will let you know how this one is too as soon as I get it read. I think we are going to have to read all three during the next five days. I wanted to get my next month's book group book done before we really got serious but I guess Marissa has other plans for us.

Make it a good one--- Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment